Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What is it?

I can see what's happ'ning.
What?
And they don't have a clue.
Who?
We fell in love, and here's the bottom line: Our family's growing from two.

Okay, that was dumb. But I do not apologize because that's what you'll get when you log the blog of the Irish dog (translation: when you access my web log).

Welp, as promised here I am updating our blog. Now that we've made it known that we have a blog and our number of visitors has gone up 400% overnight to four, I need to make good on my part of the deal. You come here. You is specting read stuff, so I is give you read stuff.

Yesterday was a big day for the Murphy family. After 20 weeks of agonizing over the gender of our unborn child, we finally know the truth about what it is. No more calling it an it, or a thing, or a whoozi whatzit, or peanut brittle, or caramel ketchup, or anything like that. We can finally call it a...

We'll just see if you can tell fo' yo' self.


That's right, folks. Megan and I are going to be the proud parents of a tuber! The ultrasound technician said that its eye development is amazing! He mentioned that he's seen rare cases of vegetable procreative anomalies before when parents were especially fond of a certain veggie around the time of conception. (Where do you think the term "Beet-nik" came from? Those hippies sure liked their beets. I'm not sure about "flower child" though. I don't think many of them actually consumed flowers, but I suppose under certain influences a tulip may seem appetizingly like a supreme pizza.) We especially liked this shot because it actually looks like it's waving and smiling. He said that while their facial expressions at this point are random twitches meant to help muscle development, I say poo poo on the technician. I know my child, and it loves me! It's got it's father's head. The only downside is that it will stay an it forever. While some people will carve their potato children and others store a hodge podge of interchangeable facial features in their potato's hind quarters, we plan on letting little Tuber Q. Losis Murphy be what it will be. I've heard they even have tater communities up in Idaho.

Don't say I didn't warn you about me.

But seriously, we're having a GIRL!! We are so very excited about it and have some great shots of her from the ultrasound. We're sad that the machine which makes a recording wasn't working cause our little ragazza was putting on quite a show (licking her lips, yawning, waving, etc) but we did get some great stills.
She's a little scary when she yawns, but that's okay. She has come a long way from looking like a kidney bean in her first ultrasound. It could be worse. Yea, if we could just have the thing and show it to you now, we totally would. But I'm guessing it looks probably like a sea monkey right now and we should let it get a little cuter. (Thanks, Diablo Cody)

So as we leave you, from the crossroads of the west, this last picture says it all. Life is good. Thumbs up. There ain't no potato inside my wife. There is a beautiful baby girl who I just can't wait to welcome into our lives and fill her head with all sorts of nonsense.

Hmmmm...

I guess if you want to be done, you can, but I just remembered something else I wanted to show off - my wife's hilarity.

So we're coming back from the ultrasound and we decide to go and get a cake from Smith's to bring up to my parents' house in Orem. While Megan was making her perfunctory tri-hourly trip to the loo, I started eying the selection in the bakery. They were closed, so we couldn't have them write anything on it, but we could write it ourselves, but they only had blue cakes. That's when Megan came up with the following epiphany of geniosity:

We walked into my house with the cake mostly covered in a paper bag from Smith's, and my dad immediately said, "Is that blue frosting I see? I know what that means!" We nodded understandingly. Not wanting to lead anyone on for too long, we pulled the bag off. Boy I wish I had a picture of their faces! The best was my two little sisters, Shannon and Caitlin, who came home from their Young Women's activity later. We had covered the cake with a towel, then pulled oh so deviously slow to reveal the cake from bottom to top. They yelled, "It's a bbbb..." and stopped cold in their tracks as we pulled it the rest of the way off. "Does that mean it's a girl?" Shannon then asked. We answered in the affirmative.

I found that unfortunately the story doesn't translate too well over the phone. While speaking to an uncle, I related the story of the cake to tell him the good news, to which he replied, "Well, as the Godfather says, <in a husky tone> 'May your first child be a manchild'." I laughed, then stopped and explained that the cake read, "It's NOT a boy." Our conversation didn't last much past that awkward moment. Ha!

Okaybye.

14 comments:

Dan said...

Congrats Sean. Its been awhile since we've talked. Kim also keeps a blog about our lives. check it out. burchbarks.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Congrats!

Talai said...

Congrats Sean! Having a baby is so amazing! I threw up for 9 months, several times a day, and I would still do it again! That is saying something! Enjoy!
-Talai

Gretchen said...

Yay you guys are stinkin cute!! I'm so glad you have a blog! Wooo hoooo. Jake and I have one too....gretchenpollard.blogspot.com....if you don't add me as a friend I will be very hurt. I can't wait to meet your little girl =)

We Joneses said...

Last night as I was falling asleep I suddenly remembered, "MEGAN KNOWS WHAT IT IS NOW!" Biff says, "She'll tell you TOMORROW." Be glad I married a man with common sense or you wouldn't have gotten any sleep last night.

Unknown said...

Congratulations Megan and Sean. Yea!!! New Murphys. Ever since loosing that glorious ending to my name, I have felt that the world was slightly out of whack. With the addition of new baby girl Murphy, I feel more at ease. Congrats again and I can't wait to see more cute-ified photos in the future. -Cousin Beth

Ana said...

THAT IS HILARIOUS!what a clever idea. oh you are so witty megan!and CONGRATS MY DEARS!

bella utahan said...

Auguri!!!! I was very entertained by this entry! Look forward to more! Congratz again!

Joy and Ted said...

Congrats Sean! That is so exciting and I really know how it feels because we're expecting a girl in June! It's coming quick! Good luck with the pregnancy and keep blogging!
~Joy (Engebretsen) Lansing

Unknown said...

WAHOO! Congrats!! And fun that you have a blog. Ours is tjandkathy.blogspot.com :)

Jenna said...

Oh yippee! I am so happy for you guys. I love that you have a blog, I'm adding it to my list of "Blogs I Frequent". And thanks for the Google Reader tip, that is going to save me a heckuva lotta time.

http://littletwinhummers.blogspot.com

See you in the blogosphere!

FWIL Sentimental Blog Content said...

Congrats guys! I didn't even know you were expecting- that's awesome. Welcome to the blogging world- we're gregandcamille.blogspot.com

Andy said...

That is a way cool way to tell every one. Congrats on the not having a boy!!!

camie said...

your wish is coming true.
the pool starts monday.