Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Floored

Over two years ago, when we first saw the house that we eventually bought, we fell in love with it. I am still in love with our little 111 year old house. The bathroom, although very small, has a big clawfoot bathtub that, again, I love. The previous owners had bath mats that covered the whole floor and we just never thought to look under them to see what the floor was like...and then we moved in. We came to discover that the bathroom floor looked like this:


I'll bet you wish you had linoleum that looked as good as this. Not only was the floor thoroughly discolored, scraped up, peeling off, and ugly, but the subfloor beneath the toilet had rotted, and while the toilet was stable, it was slightly tilted to the right, which was quite the surprise the first time I sat on it. While my dad was here for my graduation in April, he graciously gave up one day of his vacation to help us fix this disaster. Here are a couple pictures after we took out the tub and toilet:


In this picture, you can see the slanted floor under the toilet

In the morning, I helped my dad measure and lay down the new subfloor.

Sean got off work early, so in the afternoon he and my dad worked and putting down the new laminate flooring. I say new, but really it had been sitting in our garage for at least two years. Luckily, the previous owners had extra flooring from remodeling the kitchen and there was just enough for the bathroom. Really, there was just enough. We only had about a foot of flooring leftover that we didn't use.

Now really, which one looks better?


3 comments:

Sean said...

I had forgotten how gross that old floor was! As much of a pain as it was replacing it, I'm sure glad we did.

Gretchen said...

It looks great!!! What a wonderful dad. The before and after pictures are quite the stark contrast. Love it!

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

Wow, much improved. Old houses are awesome. I'm impressed you found a 111 year old house in Provo. Nice work!